Last week Saturday I traveled to Sleeping Bear Dunes with the youth group from church. I think everyone who went would agree that we had a fantastic time. I had never been to Sleeping Bear Dunes before, and with new experiences come new lessons. Here are ten things I learned at Sleeping Bear Dunes, both from others’ experiences and my own:
1. Eating in the dunes without ingesting sand is like folding laundry in the middle of a tornado: impossible.
2. Always remember to close your backpack before running down a dune. If you don’t, you might lose some things on the way.
3. Good Morning America wasn’t lying. Seriously, Sleeping Bear Dunes is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.
4. Applying makeup on the morning before hiking through the dunes is useless, as it will soon be blown off your face. Chapstick, however, will come in handy if you wish to glue granules of sand to your lips.
5. To avoid taking a mouthful of sand, always lean back when falling from a jump off a dune, NOT forward.
6. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich left at the bottom of a bag while hiking through the dunes will, when retrieved for dinner, appear as though it has been pulverized through a blender.
7. I am a scaredy cat when it comes to dune jumping. In fact, I am a scaredy cat when it comes to watching other people dune jump. (Though I have to admit, it was amusing to see Chris leap off some of those hills.)
8. If while hiking back from the dunes you think, “Wow, I feel great! I don’t think I’m going to be sore at all!” don’t believe yourself. In a matter of hours you will feel pain, and it will get worse before it gets better.
9. Attempting to fix wind-blown hair after coming out of the dunes is overrated. It is better to simply embrace your new style, even if you do look like the Bride of Frankenstein for the rest of the afternoon.
10. After a hike through the dunes there will be sand EVERYWHERE. In your eyes, in your hair, in your ears, under your toenails, encrusted in your teeth……..you get the idea.
To all you students and sponsors who were with me, I’m so glad we were able to enjoy such a lovely day together! And for those of you who have never been to Sleeping Bear Dunes before, I definitely recommend taking a visit. It’s a blast, and you might even learn a few things from the dunes yourself!